Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Kind of Work I Do

To give an idea of the kind of work that I do, here's a link to report of a recent audit that I led on Denver's photo enforcement program. We found that Denver has not adequately demonstrated the safety impact of its photo red light and photo radar programs. Because each program has generated positive net revenues for the City, we noted that there is a risk that the public will view the programs only as a cash grab.

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/3/documents/Photo%20Enforcement%20Audit%20Report%2012-15-11.pdf

The Denver Post editorial board agreed with us, which doesn't happen often.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_19580844

I'm particularly proud of this audit because it demonstrates our citizen-focused approach. We knew that photo enforcement management needed to recognize the risk of adopting a method of operation that played into the negative views that many Denver citizens have about photo enforcement. Ensuring that city residents get a clear voice in government, and that government officials listen to and are accountable to the residents is a long-time passion of mine. That citizen-focused attitude is just one reason why I enjoy working for the Denver Auditor, and it's one reason I want to extend my public service to the Castle Rock Town Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment