Saturday, January 21, 2012

Introduction

My name is Chris Horton, and I'm a candidate to represent District 2 on the Castle Rock Town Council. My wife Deborah and I have been married since 2004, and we have 2 1/2 year old twin boys -- Zachary and Landon. I supervise performance audits for the City of Denver's Auditor's Office. I've been in the field of public sector performance auditing at the state or local levels since 2001. In the public sector, performance auditing is similar to management consulting. I lead a team of auditors who review city agencies' processes to understand areas in which management can enhance cost-effectiveness, process efficiency, operational effectiveness, and performance management. Before I became a performance auditor, I spent two years teaching high school history and government.

In addition to my work experience, I have an educational background that is useful for someone seeking the responsibility of local government oversight. I have a bachelor's degree in political science and history, and a master's degree in history, both from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin. I have almost completed my doctorate in public administration from Arizona State University, and I anticipate completing my degree in May 2012.

In the posts that follow I will discuss some of the key qualities of effective local government, to further introduce my candidacy to the residents of Castle Rock's District 2. I look forward to having a dialogue with District 2 residents, as we seek to develop our district together.

1 comment:

  1. As a former elected local official in Massachusetts and former work colleague of Chris', I can say with certainty that Chris possesses the three most important qualities to be an effective local official: Integrity, Intelligence, and good will. I hope the people of Castle Rock will support Chris, as he will be an excellent public servant and representative of the district.

    Mark Haldane

    ReplyDelete